Friday 11 April 2014

J is for Jimi Hendrix


What's that you say? Jimi Hendrix should be under H for Hendrix? Look, you index things your way, I'll do it mine.

I'm a bit too young to really have been into Hendrix (filed under J for Jimi), but I know he caused a stir. In particular, my mother had homicidal thoughts about him. I guess she was always a bit too old for Hendrix.

I have a very clear memory of Jimi Hendrix appearing on British TV. While he was playing the guitar with his teeth, my mother, who as I said was no fan, said: "I hope he electrocutes himself." I told you she didn't like him.

Poor Jimi, it wasn't playing the guitar with his teeth that did for him, nor even setting fire to his guitar, instead it was asphyxia following aspiration of vomit. The precise details of his death are disputed by some, but at 27 - the mythical age for rockers to die - he was too young to go. And, just to be clear about this, my mother had NOTHING to do with it.

Watch this and marvel.


Also-rans: Tricky, but just for the way some songs pin certain memories firmly in place I'd go for Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word by Elton John which takes me straight to the back bar of the Golden Lion pub in Whitstable where we used to play bar billiards and drink illegally. It was a bit of an old gits pub, I wonder what would have happened if we'd tried to play Jimi Hendrix on the jukebox.

6 comments:

  1. Timeless, and he died months before beginning work with Miles Davis, which would have been wild.

    I would have highlighted the thrilling 'Crosstown Traffic' [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX5tOX6vA-0] or the single version of 'Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)' [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvmKlZGTTU4] which I recall watching on Top of the Pops aged, well, two-and-a-half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you were rocking out even as a toddler. It explains a lot.

      Delete
  2. Love Hendrix, and love your theme! :) Also love your situation! An Englishman living in Greece :-) Bet you don't miss the weather! Dropping by from the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the weather, although as they say, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing".

      Delete
  3. What a legacy that would have been - son of the murderer of Hendrix. Good mom knows how to keep her cool. My mom would have just said "rubbish". I remember the first time I heard Hendrix. It was the star spangled banner. My friend's brother was playing it, LOUD, and there was the pungent aroma of pot smoke, even through the closed door. I enjoyed each of those clips - Hey Joe, Crosstown Traffic and Voodoo Chile. I can't go to Elton John right now, Hendrix is still in my blood. It takes time to wear off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's a distinction I don't have. And, yes, I think moving from Hendrix to Elton John could cause some sort of aural confusion.

      Delete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.