Thursday 19 June 2014

Listen, I can explain. It's not what it looks like

Oh, I'm a bad, bad blogger. It was all going so well, I was posting regularly for the A to Z Challenge and then.....woomph! Nothing for more than a month.

Well, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, all I can say is that I went back to the UK for a month - during which I managed one, yes, one, post - and then I just found myself always doing something else. OK on that basis I'd convict me, too, on charges of wilful slackness and culpable workicide.

Anyway, now I'm back on the rock with all the distractions that life here offers in the summer. And on top of that we've got the World Cup to contend with. Actually, when I put it like that it's quite amazing that I'm even writing these words now, but miracles can and do happen and so here I find myself tapping those keys to produce the deathless prose that is my attempt to stave off a full-on descent into bonkersness. I'm not sure it's working, but I'm giving it a go.

Having mentioned the World Cup I might as well admit that I've been watching quite a lot. It's still the group stage when there are at least three matches a day and four on the concluding day of each group, so the potential to put in almost a full working day just watching football is always there. I try to be discriminating, if only to prevent the onset of pressure sores from sitting too long gawping at the big TV sets in my local café where I watch matches.

Tonight is a big night. England play Uruguay and Greece play Japan. I'm English and would like England to do well, or at least not be disgraced, and I live in Greece and would like to see them do well also. Unfortunately, my footballing loyalties are causing me some pain and both sides need to win or they might as well head for the airport. I suppose supporting teams that might not triumph is where the character-building element of sport resides. We shall see.

Since writing the opening line of this post I've had a song in my head and it eventually surfaced through my murky consciousness as Bad, Bad Boy by Nazareth, Scottish heavy rockers formed in 1968 who I'm pleased to say are still going, albeit in a slightly different line-up than they started with. As a way of making amends for dilatory behaviour with the blog I offer you Nazareth at their raucous best.



Question: Does anyone have any top tips for avoiding fecklessness? There must be a way, or should I give in now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.