Saturday 27 September 2014

It's been a quiet week

It hardly seems possible that it's only a week since I had to take the heartbreaking decision to let the vet end my dog's suffering. That's why it's been a quiet week - and obviously a sad week, too.

When I describe Bonnie as "my dog", it's not entirely accurate. She was very much a family dog and would be friendly with anyone who would offer her a kind word, a stroke of her lovely soft ears or, even better, slip her an illicit morsel of food.

Bonnie was a black Labrador and like pretty well all of her kind always seemed to have food at the forefront of her mind. It was this which first led me to realise something was wrong with her when she began to refuse meals.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on the last days of a much loved pet other than to say that things were made easier by the presence of one of my daughters who had come to Skopelos for a short holiday. Having the first day of your holiday taken up by the death of a pet is not a good start to any break, but I was glad I had a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on.

So now Bonnie is at rest in the olive grove. My landlord, who was very fond of Bonnie, helped me dig a grave and we buried her with one of her favourite toys, a rather grubby Father Christmas doll, which she would often present to visitors to the house. In a few weeks I will buy a fruit tree which we will plant over her. It seems fitting that a dog with such wide and varied tastes in food should have a fruit tree nearby.

I am trying desperately hard not to be sentimental in this post, but it's difficult. I miss her enthusiastic greeting every time I returned home, I miss the way she would place her head on my knee and give me a soulful stare (yes, I know it usually meant she wanted food) and above all I just miss her presence. But life goes on and I am grateful for the time we had with Bonnie, a good and faithful friend.

Just at the moment I can't lay my hands on a picture of Bonnie. I'll try to find one soon. In the meantime, here's Led Zeppelin singing a song which while not about a black Labrador apparently was named after one. I have to admit that whenever I played Led Zep Bonnie seemed to wander off, I don't think she was a fan. Even so, this is dedicated to her.



5 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I love my dog very much and I can only imagine how heart wrenching it must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a sad time, but we have lots of happy memories.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Bonnie had a great life. My doggie (also a black lab) had to be put down a couple of years ago. The vet was wonderful, I cried and cried. He is buried in a shady spot of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there. I'm sorry for your loss. I know only too well the pain of losing a dear pet. Animals can bring such joy and comfort to our lives. They have a way of understanding us when it seems no one else does. Please take the time to grieve and who knows...maybe in the future, you'll be able to offer your heart and love to another animal. Wishing you all the best. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from the A-Z Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog and four kitties are part of our family and it's going to be hard to let them go. I'm sorry for your loss and I too have had to make that hard decision in the past, when one of my cats was too sick to go on. I found your blog on the A-Z post roadtrip and I have enjoyed reading several of your posts. www.dianeweidenbenner.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.