Friday 6 March 2015

Come on. spring, you can do it

Slowly, slowly σιγά σιγά the signs are there that spring is getting in to its stride. It certainly seems to have been a long, cold winter (for here) although I'm beginning to wonder if that perception is to do with increasing age.

Does the cold bite a little harder as you get older? Maybe, but whatever, as you look around you on the sunny days you soon notice the increasing profusion of flowers coming out and pointing their faces at the sun. I have said before that visitors to Greece miss one of the glories of this country - certainly this island - by only ever coming here in the height of summer.

From now until about early June there will be an increasing abundance of wild flowers on show. They delight the eye until the intense heat of summer forces them to give up. A few of them put in a return appearance as the cooler weather of autumn arrives, but that's some way off.

Anyway, enough words, time for pictures of flowers. I've not identified them because to be truthful I'm not positive about the names. Just enjoy the pictures. What I will say is that the last picture is of part of Mrs C's garden, all the others are wild flowers. I took these pictures on Wednesday, which as you can see, was a lovely day. Today is cloudy and wet. Ah well...









You nearly ended up with Anne Ziegler and Webster Booth singing We'll Gather Lilacs, but somehow I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I'm putting up a pretty little song called Flowers in Your Hair by an American group called The Lumineers. I hope you like it.


2 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend part of the day, wandering around in the sunshine taking pictures of flowers!

    I had never heard of the Lumineers but quite like them. Going to head to You Tube to go see what else I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job I took the pictures when I did. The weather is now truly appalling. Howling gales and horizontal rain, which is the forecast for several days to come.

      I just stumbled across the Lumineers by searching for songs with the word flowers in the title. A lucky find.

      Delete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.