Monday 25 May 2015

A rumbling in the Garden of England

Having spent much time in Greece over the last three years I have grown used to the occasional earth tremor. Nothing too serious, but still surprisingly unsettling.

So imagine my surprise on my current trip to the UK to experience a 4.2 magnitude tremor while staying in my mother's home in Kent, the county also known as the Garden of England.

I knew straight away what it was, but that still doesn't stop you wondering if there's more to come. There wasn't but this relatively insignificant seismic event still made plenty of copy for the following day's TV and newspapers.

We are fortunate not to have suffered anything catastrophic such as was experienced recently in Nepal, but much was still made of the tremor. As any reporter knows, sometimes you just have to work with what you've got, even if the material is a bit thin.

I'm trying to blog when I can, but I shall be a bit peripatetic over the next few weeks so the service might be a little erratic. AND I've still got to sort out the name change, which will probably also entail a bit of a redesign of the blog. Not exactly a seismic shift for my blog, but still a time of change.

Anyway, I'm in Devon now - on the other side of the country - and the sun is shining, a walk beckons, I think.

For a musical finish, I thought a little bit of Dr Feelgood doing Rolling and Tumbling would be quite good.



7 comments:

  1. We have been having small quakes in my state as well. I live in the middle of the US. Hope the move is smooth! Look forward to seeing what you change the blog name to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that Dr. Feelgood is so good! Love the groove...
    I am waiting for the movie San Andreas to come out. Have you seen the trailers for it? https://youtu.be/Bz9e0PGSDeU

    Best wishes for a successful move. I hope it all goes well. Safe travels.
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping in via the A to Z Road Trip. Sounds as though you have interesting times ahead! Good luck with your move.
    Anabel's Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark - good luck with the move ... you could keep the blog name the same - just up the ante (with climate warming) and plant some olives once you're settled?!

    Earthquakes should be ok here .. no tectonic plate movement here ... but life is interesting ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dropping by on the Road Trip. Glad to find your blog and will be back to see your changes. Hopefully no more earthquakes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also passing through on the A-Z road trip. The earthquake can't have been a good welcome on your return to the UK! Hope all goes well and you get settled quickly. I'm enjoying having time to visit blogs now the challenge is over. April was definitely manic but I think I'll be back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Road tripping here, sounds like you're having a good trip.

    Sandy at Bridge and Beyond

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.