Wednesday 6 May 2015

Reflections on the A to Z Challenge



My second A to Z Challenge completed and a bit like getting home from a very frenetic party, everything seems very quiet now.

I enjoyed it, made some blogging friends and was constantly surprised at the various ways people approach blogging and the A to Z Challenge.

I'm speaking only for myself, but I think it makes good sense to write as many, if not all, of your postings before the event begins. Seriously, it's so much easier. I know some people like to wing it, but in my book preparation pays off.

Having said that, what I found difficult, last year and again this year, is trying to visit a good range of other blogs. I had some I went back to again and again, but missed out on many others.

In no particular order, blogs I enjoyed included: Angels Bark, which provided a musical extravaganza; Smidgens, Snippets & Bits, which had some useful life lessons for us all; Brits in the USA, which gave us a rollercoaster ride in novel form; The Odd Particle [Re}View, which lived up to its name; and That's Purrfect, wasn't the internet invented for stuff about cats?

There were many other blogs I looked at and liked so IF I do this again next year, I'm going to come up with a strategy for more meaningful visits to other blogs. Don't know what it is yet, but I'll think of something.

That's about it, really. Other than to say a big thank you to Arlee Bird and everyone else who helps with the organisation of this event.

I like to finish my blog postings with a bit of music and this song from Nat King Cole sprang to mind when I was wondering what might be fitting for my "Reflections" post. I hope you enjoy it.




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I also feel like I'm coming home from a party (and could maybe use some extra sleep :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, extra sleep and then a good breakfast.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog posts throughout this Challenge, Mark and awarded you a thumbs up badge mention on my reflections honours list post yesterday (6th May)! Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I hope you continue to enjoy my blog as I return to slightly more general topics.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mark,
    We made it huh? What a crazy ride. I'm enjoying the pace of the Reflections posts and am looking forward to the Road Trip (you know about that, right?? Everyone who wants to be a part of it signs up just like you did with the A-Z list and then people spend the next several weeks/months visiting all those who signed up for the A-Z Road Trip. It keeps active those wanting to stay active in A-Z land. I did it last year and was glad I did. Sorry if you already knew this...) :)
    Hey, thanks so much for the mention! I appreciate that. I mentioned you too in my Reflections post. I'm so glad I discovered your blog. Now that you're going to be moving, does that mean the name of your blog is going to change or will you be keeping it "The View from the Olive Grove"??
    Great song here too.
    Michele at Angels Bark
    Thanks again.
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did make it, Michele, didn't we? I think we all deserve a pat on the back for that. I wasn't sure about the Road Trip, but I think I will sign up because it will enable me to visit more A to Z blogs at a less frantic pace.
      As for my blog after I move, I think I will have to change it a bit. A new name seems appropriate but I haven't come up with one yet. I've got a few weeks until I'm back in the UK. All suggestions gratefully received.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the shout out Mark. I found it difficult to get around to all the blogs. I had about 20 that I returned to every day and that kept me plenty busy. I am honored to have been included in your rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark - it's a Challenge and that learning curve continues on. Well done for finishing and I did enjoy visiting the Olive Grove and having a chat on occasions ...

    Pity about changing the name for the blog - hope you don't lose your posts and we can still access them!? But understand the logic ...

    I hope you'll keep us posted re the move etc ... cheers for now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear from you so please feel free to comment. Sorry, no anonymous comments.